Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Michelangelo: Divine Draftsman and Designer at the Metropolitan Museum Of Art

This past Sunday I spent the afternoon at the preview for the huge Michelangelo exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum Of Art.  I'm a MetMember, so I was able to see the exhibit before it opened yesterday.  I'm so glad that the museum had this benefit available as it was packed with people even with the restricted admission.  The show opened to the public yesterday and I have to say it is one of the most incredible exhibitions I have ever seen.  

The exhibit runs from November 13, 2017 through February 12, 2018.  Included are:  133 of his drawings, three of his marble sculptures, his earliest painting, and his wood architectural model for a chapel vault.  There are also complimentary works by his teachers, associates, pupils and artists who worked in collaboration with him.  


Michelangelo, Studies for the Virgin and Child with Saint Anne, Studies of a Standing Male Nude, and Head in Profile


Michelangelo, Young Archer (unfinished)




Michelangelo, Sketches of the Virgin, the Christ Child Reclining on a Cushion, and Other Infants


Piero D'Argenta, Virgin and Child with the Infant Saint John


Michelangelo, Study of a Standing Male Nude Seen from the Back


Michelangelo, Study of a Standing Male Nude Seen from the Back

Bastion (Aristotile) Da Sangallo, Record Drawing of the Elevation of the Tomb of Julius II, after Michaelangelo

Michelangelo, Designs for a Monumental Altar or Facade

Drawing for the Design of the Coffering on the Vault of Sacristy of San Lorenzo



Michelangelo, Sketch for Cleopatra


Finished Sketch of Cleopatra


Michelangelo, Young Man in Bust Length in Exotic Costume

Michelangelo, Portrait of Andrea Quaratesi

Michelangelo, Unfinished Cartoon of the Virgin and Child

Sebastiano Del Piombo, Study for God the Father


Recreation of the Sistine Chapel Ceiling

Michelangelo, Composition Sketches and Studies for Frescoes on the Sistine Ceiling

Andrea Di Pietro Di Marco Ferrucci, Bust of Julius Caesar



Michelangelo, Model of the Vault of the Chapel of the King of France


Closing Time


These photos are just a small amount of the exhibit.  If you are local or planning a trip to NYC, I urge you to visit this exhibition.  I don't know that all of these drawings will ever be together in one place again.  If an in person visit is not in the cards, you can order the catalog here.   The book is very well done.  I can't wait to get mine ( I ordered one. It is way too big to schlep on the subway.) so I can start copying the drawings of the master.  I've recently gotten back into drawing, so this came at just the right time for me to keep the momentum going.  You can also following along on social media using the hashtag #MetMichelangelo.

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of this amazing exhibit.  Have you been yet? Planning a trip around it? Ordering the catalog?  Leave me a note in the comments.  I'd love to start a discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment